Entrance Orientation: S
Cave Formation: Horizontal
Main Research Years: 1938, 1936
Ocupation Dates and Eras:
Sources: Hood, S. 1981. Excavations in Chios 1938-1955. Prehistoric Emporio and Ayio Gala. The British School at Athens. Thames and Hudson. 11-73.
The cave itself lies 1 km inland from an inhospitable stretch of coast.
The cave is made up of two chambers. The first is large and to the right of the steps that lead to the cave. An area of about 25 sq m was opened up, and the bed rock floor was detected at 7m below.
There is also a chamber above. This lies above the cave and to the left. The entrance to the second chamber is through a chapel. The layer was smaller at only 4m deep.
The cave was excavated by E. Eccles in 1938. The test trench allowed them to see that there was no stratification and layers defined by pottery were also not apparent as sherd of the sma epot would appear in different archaeological layers. The lowest 3 m abouve the bed rock were almost entirely sterile.
The upper cave contained many bone fragments. Some had been split to extract the marrow. Some bits of bone had also been burnt.
Cave Usage: A.a - Agropastoral.
There is no evidence of hearths or obvious floor levels. However the character of the pottery suggest that the upper cave was used for habitation. The evidence of ritual burning and possible consumption of humans may suggest the cave also had a spiritual use.