Entrance Orientation: E
Entrance Altitude: 1250m asl
Cave Formation: Horizontal
Main Research Years: 1986-7
Occupation Eras and Dates: Eneolithic; EBA; LBA-IA
Bela, M. 1897. ‘Vendbanimi Shellor I Dajcit.’ Illyria 2, 23.
Korkuti, M and Petruso, K,M. 1993. Archaeology in Albania. The American Journal of Archaeology 97, 703-716.
Korkuti, M. 1995. Neolithikum und Chalkolithikum in Albanien. Mainz am Rhein: Internationale Interakademische Kommission fur die Erforschung der Vorgeschichte des Balkans, Monographieren 4. 246-247.
Cave Description: The cave's settlement of Dajc is located in the area of Has in the municipality of Kukes in northeastern North Albania. It has an elevation of 1,250m above sea level and is distinguished by its favorable location.
The Dajc cave has the shape of an 80 m long corridor that is on average 3.5m wide and a maximum height of 4.5m. There are four chambers comprising the cave, of which only three (room A, B and C) have been used for habitation.
Research Chronicles and Data: The cave was excavated by Muhamet Bela in 1986 and 1987. 75% of the pottery from the Eneolithic period has thick walls. The remaining 25% thin walled pottery is made from a fine clean clay mixed with sand, its surface is normally grey or black and occasionally brown.
The oldest cultural layer - Dajc I - belongs to the Chalcolithic period. This was in room A, about 0.2m thick and contained a small number of archaeological finds.
There were very few tools found including, an oval flint scraper with flat retouch and a plurality of different artefacts from tubular bones, including a small bone chisel and a pipe bone bead. In addition, are the remains of grinding bowls.
The characteristic ceramics of the Chalcolithic period are good quality and thin, black and gray-black pottery. These include the bulging biconical vessels, some of which are decorated with fluting. The pottery evident at Dajc seems to be related to Maliq IIb and Tren II in eastern South Albania. Although the archaeological material in Dajc limited, it has sufficient characteristics to be confident in an assertion of Chalcolithic occupation and classify it in the context of the remaining groups and Chalcolithic cultures of Albania. The find material is also of importance, since no Chalcolithic has been known from the northeastern North Albania.
Cave Uses: Agropastoral, storage (A.a.b) -